Making certain lifestyle choices can strengthen your heart and prevent or treat cardiovascular problems. Partner with the knowledgeable doctors at the Englewood Health Physician Network for recommendations and support.
What is Heart Disease?
Heart disease, or cardiovascular disease, is the leading cause of death in the U.S for both men and women. It damages your heart or blood vessels (veins, arteries, and capillaries), which can lead to:
- Symptoms that make it hard to do daily activities and enjoy life
- Complications like heart failure, heart attack, or stroke
Prevent many types of heart disease by taking an active role in your health. Protect your well-being by following these guidelines:
- Be active for 30 minutes or more each day.
- Eat a healthy diet of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and lean meats like fish and poultry. Avoid salt, saturated fat, and sugar, and read labels to find out what’s in the foods you eat.
- Make time to relax and find healthy ways to cope with stress, such as talking to a loved one, spending time with a pet, or doing yoga and meditation.
Maintain a healthy weight, and lose weight if you’re overweight.
- Get treatment for health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
- Limit yourself to one alcoholic drink a day.
- If you smoke or use tobacco, quit.
How Your Doctor Can Help
Talk to your Englewood Health provider about your health and wellness goals. Your doctor can help you:
- Create an exercise plan that’s right for you and includes activities you enjoy
- Develop a healthy eating plan that fits your tastes and budget
- Manage chronic conditions
- Get mental health care
- Lose weight in a safe way and maintain a healthy weight
- Quit tobacco