Rely on the Englewood Health Physician Network for high cholesterol care. Expect fast and accurate screening tests, patient-friendly education, and effective treatment services close to your neighborhood in New Jersey or New York.
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fat-like substance found in your blood and body’s cells. Your body needs a certain amount and type of cholesterol to be healthy.
A cholesterol test, or lipid panel, measures your:
- High density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good,” cholesterol removes bad cholesterol to keep blood vessel walls healthy
- Low density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad,” cholesterol can build up in your blood vessels
Advanced Cholesterol Tests
Trust your doctor for specialized testing services. Englewood Health Physicians offer nuclear magnetic resonance LipoProfile (NMR LipoProfile®) — a blood test that gives more information than a standard lipid profile.
Cholesterol Test Results
High levels of LDL cholesterol and low levels of HDL cholesterol (less than 40 mg/dL) can put you at risk for heart problems and stroke. Ask your doctor what your cholesterol goals should be.
How Do I Lower Cholesterol?
Count on your Englewood Health provider to help you lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. Your doctor may recommend:
- Healthy lifestyle changes, like starting a new diet and exercise plan
- Managing other health conditions, including high blood pressure and diabetes
- Medications, such as statins
What are Statins?
Statins are a type of drug that reduce cholesterol in the blood and lessen your risk of heart problems. Statins may be right for you if you are between 40 to 75 years old and you have:
- Atherosclerosis, or deposits of cholesterol in your arteries
- Diabetes, or high blood sugar
- LDL cholesterol levels higher than 190 mg/dL
- A family history of heart disease