Live your healthiest life with guidance, support, and care that’s personalized to you. Count on your Englewood Health Physician Network primary care provider to help you get the medical services you need quickly and close to home in New Jersey or New York.
What is Primary Care?
Primary care is basic, day-to-day health care. Your primary care provider (PCP) can:
- Track your health during regular checkups and screenings
- Diagnose, prevent, and treat non-emergency injuries and illnesses, including infections
- Manage chronic (long-term) conditions
- Give health education and recommendations, like nutritional counseling
- Answer your medical questions and listen to your concerns
- Help you find your way through the health care system, coordinating your care with other providers and referring you to specialists when needed
Importance of Primary Care
Benefit from personalized attention. Your PCP can watch for changes in your health and prevent problems, helping you stay well and limit health care costs.
How Do Referrals Work?
A referral means your PCP sends you to another provider or health care setting to help with diagnosis and treatment. Your insurance provider may need a PCP’s referral in order to cover the cost of seeing a specialist.
Choosing Your Primary Care Provider
The type of PCP that’s right for you depends on your personal health care needs. At the Englewood Health Physician Network you can choose a:
- Family medicine doctor: Cares for people of all ages
- Internal medicine doctor, or internist: Focuses on caring for adults and managing complex conditions
- Adolescent medicine specialist: Manages the health needs of young people age 11 to 21
- Geriatric medicine doctor, or gerontologist: Cares for older adults and seniors
Your PCP may be a:
- Doctor, a clinician who holds a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree
- Nurse practitioner (NP), a registered nurse board certified in a medical specialty, such as family practice or pediatric care
- Physician’s assistant (PA), a nationally certified and state-licensed general medicine expert who can provide care and prescribe medication