Stay fit and strong with these 8 lifestyle changes that will help prevent or control all the major risk factors for heart disease — the number 1 cause of death in the U.S.
- Move more: Exercise 30 minutes or more every day – walking, swimming, biking – anything you enjoy!
- Stop smoking: If you smoke, even casually, QUIT.
- Focus on you: Manage and prevent high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and obesity through proper nutrition, exercise and medication.
- Limit alcohol: Limit yourself to one drink a day.
- Relax more: Learn healthy ways to cope with stress — yoga, meditation, time with a beloved pet, talking with friends and therapy.
- Eat the rainbow: Aim to eat a wider variety of ‘color’ in your foods. Consume healthy foods naturally rich in nutrients and vitamins like green leafy vegetables, fresh berries and fruits, fish, lean meats and whole grains.
- Stop the salt: Prepare foods with little or no salt.
- Keep sweet in your love life, not in your food: Read labels and minimize the amount of sugar you consume in beverages and prepared foods.